Periodic Table, Evolution removed from Class 10th
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) caused controversy when reports surfaced claiming that it would remove chapters on democracy, political parties, Darwin’s theory, and the periodic table from their Class 10 CBSE science textbooks.
Periodic Table, Evolution removed from Class 10th: Key Points
• The backlash from scientists and the public alike has prompted the council to release a statement explaining their reasoning.
• They clarified that these topics are still incorporated in the school curriculum, with periodic table and evolution content available in Classes 11 and 12.
• NCERT went on to explain that feedback from teachers and stakeholders suggested that children only need to study certain concepts at an appropriate stage rather than different stages.
• They also stated that this decision was made, in part, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
• According to NCERT, elements, symbols, compounds, atoms, and molecules are studied in Class 9, while chemical reactions, acids, bases, salts, metals, nonmetals, and carbon compounds are covered in Class 10.
• Students taking Science in Class 11 and 12 will delve into the specifics of the periodic classification of elements, which has been made more age-appropriate.
• NCERT also notes that during the pandemic, they sought to streamline the contents of textbooks based on various criteria, including content overlap, difficulty level, relevance, and whether the material is self or peer-taught.
This exercise aimed to ensure that students’ learning was not disrupted by the shift to alternative learning modes. When allegations arose that NCERT was eliminating chapters and subjects, the scientific world slammed the practise and warned that if quick action is not done, India will retreat into an era of darkness.
|Government Schemes Mock Test||Start Test!|
|Political Science Mock Test – 42||Start Test|
|History Test – 190||Start Test|
|Quantitative Aptitude Test||Start Test!|
|Trigonometry - Mock Test||Start Test!|
|Data Interpretation - Mock Test||Start Test!|
|General Awareness - Mock Test||Start Test!|
|Reasoning Ability - Mock Test||Start Test!|
|Englist(Antonyms) Mock Test 1||Start Test!|
|Quantitative Aptitude (Percentage) Mock Test||Start Test!|
|Economy Mock Test 1||Unlock Test!|
|Books & Authors - Test 2||Unlock Test!|