Over 72 crore vaccine doses have been administered since the vaccination campaign against COVID-19 was flagged off on January 16 this year by Honorable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. To provide proof of vaccination for each of these individuals, Co-WIN is already issuing a digitally verifiable certificate. This certificate can be saved on a digital device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) or stored in Digi Locker from where it can be digitally shared as and when required as proof of vaccination. Similarly, at entry points where such certificate is required (e.g., in malls, office complexes, public events, etc.), it may be shown in both the digital and physical forms.
- This new application programming interface (API) has been developed by CoWin. It is called ‘Know Your Customer’s or Client’s Vaccination Status’ or KYC-VS.
- The API was developed as an extra security layer in order to protect personal data before sharing it with any third-party verifying entity as and when required.
How vaccination status can be accessed?
In order to access the vaccination status of the person, his registered mobile number and name must be entered by the verifying entity in order to generate a one-time password or OTP. This two-layer authentication will enable CoWin to quickly respond to the vaccination status.
- It will show 0, if the person is not vaccinated
- 1 if the person is partially vaccinated and
- 2 if the person is fully vaccinated.
Report on vaccination will be digitally signed and can be shared instantly by the verifying entity.
CoWIN is dubbed as “Covid Vaccine Intelligence Network”. This web portal was developed by the Indian government for COVID-19 vaccination registration. It is owned and operated by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The portal displays booking slots of COVID-19 vaccine in the nearby areas and can be booked through it. This portal has also been integrated with the Aarogya Setu and UMANG Apps. It also provides a digitally verifiable certificate, which can be saved on a device or on Digi Locker, digitally.