Current Affairs is the most important area in all competitive exams. But the difficulty level is very high. That’s why; many aspirants get confused, how to select Current Affairs for Preparation of Competitive Examination? In this Post, Daily Current Affairs 7 January 2023, we have tried to cover each and every point and also included all important facts from National/ International news that are useful for upcoming competitive examinations such as UPSC, SSC, Railway, State Govt. etc.
Current Affairs for Competitive Exam – 7 January 2022
Rilton Cup, the first tournament of the FIDE Circuit: Pranesh M, who had already passed his three norms before this occasion, was now the 79th Grandmaster of India. IM Pranesh M emerged as the winner of the Rilton Cup, the first tournament of the FIDE Circuit. The 16-year-old Indian player, who was seeded 22nd, dominated the competition in Stockholm, winning eight games and finishing one point ahead of GM Nikita Meshkovs and IM Kaan Kucuksari of Sweden (Latvia).
The 2022/2023 Rilton Cup, the strongest open tournament in Sweden, ran from December 27 to January 5 and brought together 136 players representing 29 national federations. As a result of his victory, Pranesh M. has taken the early lead in the FIDE Circuit with 6.8 circuit points. For the 2024 FIDE Candidates, the person with the most points at the conclusion of the year is eligible.
ISRO and Microsoft Signed MoU to Boost Indian Space Tech Ecosystem: A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Microsoft aims to provide technical tools, go-to-market support, and mentoring to Indian space tech start-ups to help them scale and become business. Through this MoU, the space tech startups identified by ISRO will be onboarded onto the Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub.
A platform that aims to support start-ups at every stage. With the help of Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub, space tech startup founders in India will have free access to the tech tools, and resources they need to build and run their businesses.
ISRO and Microsoft Signed MoU to Boost Indian Space Tech Ecosystem – Key Points
- The technical support to build and scale on Azure, developer, and productivity tools including GitHub Enterprises and Microsoft 365, and access to smart analytics with Power BI and Dynamics 365.
- Microsoft will support space tech entrepreneurs through mentoring in a variety of fields, including cloud computing, product and design, finance, sales, and marketing.
- Founders will have access to Microsoft Learn for tailored Startup centric training content and programs to help them build connections with the industry and potential customers.
- Microsoft and ISRO will also jointly organize knowledge-sharing and thought leadership sessions for the startups with space industry experts.
- The collaboration will also support founders with go-to-market strategies, technical support, and opportunities to sell their solutions via Microsoft channels and the marketplace.
- According to ISRO Chairman S. Somanath, Microsoft’s partnership with ISRO will let space technology firms analyse and process enormous amounts of satellite data for a variety of applications.
US Approves World’s First Vaccine for Declining Honey Bees: US has approved the first-ever vaccine for honey bees which will confer protection from the American foulbrood disease, raising hopes of a new weapon against diseases that routinely ravage colonies that are relied upon for food pollination. A conditional licence has been granted by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) for a vaccine created by the biotech business Dalan Animal Health, based in the US. The vaccine will be supplied on a “limited basis” to commercial beekeepers in the US and is expected to be available this year.
How will the vaccine work:
The vaccine, which contains an inactivated form of the causative bacteria, will be administered along with the royal jelly feed given by the worker bees to the queen bee. The developing bee larvae, being exposed to the vaccine, will have immunity to the foulbrood disease when they hatch. This will cut down the death rates associated with the disease, claims the company.
There is no cure for the foulbrood disease:
American foulbrood (AFB) is an infectious disease caused by the bacterium Paenibacillus larvae that can weaken and kill honey bee colonies. Currently, there is no cure for this contagious disease. Beekeepers follow one treatment method and that is to destroy and burn the infected hives and administer antibiotics to the nearby colonies in order to curb the spread of the disease.
Why does Bees matter:
- Bees are considered important pollinators due to their effectiveness and availability.
- According to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, bees, along with bats and birds, are responsible for about a third of the world’s crop production.
- There are several factors, which include pesticides, diseases, and malnutrition that are leading to the decline of bees across the world.
Honey bees have been declining at an alarming rate:
Since 2006, the USDA reports that there have been annual declines in the number of honey bee colonies in the US. Between April 2020 to April 2021, beekeepers in the US lost around 45% of their colonies, according to Auburn University’s College of Agriculture.
The vaccine, a “breakthrough” for protecting honey bees:
“Global population growth and changing climates will increase the importance of honey bee pollination to secure our food supply,” said Annette Kleiser, chief executive of Dalan Animal Health.
Cards, Mobile, Net banking top Complaint Areas at Banking Ombudsman: RBI– According to an RBI report, complaints about mobile/electronic banking and ATM/debit card issues were the most common ones made to the Office of Banking Ombudsman (OBO). The coverage of RBIOS was extended to include the non-scheduled Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs) with a deposit size of Rs 50 crore or above as at the end of the previous Financial Year. With effect from September 1, 2022, Credit Information Companies (CICs) were included to the scope of the RBI-IOS. Under the RBIOS, a total of 1,86,268 complaints were submitted between November 12, 2021, and March 31, 2022.
More About This:
The volume of complaints received under the Ombudsman Schemes/Consumer Education and Protection Cells during 2021-22 increased by 9.39% over the previous year and stood at 4,18,184. Of these, 3,04,496 complaints were handled by the 22 Offices of RBI Ombudsman (ORBIOs), including the complaints received under the three erstwhile Ombudsman Schemes till November 11, 2021.
Complaints related to ATM/ debit cards were the highest at 14.6% of the total, followed by mobile/ electronic banking at 13.6%. About 90% of the total complaints were received through digital modes, including on the online Complaint Management System (CMS) portal, e-mail, and Centralised Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS).
About The Resolution:
Most maintainable complaints (66.1%) were resolved peacefully, through conciliation, or by mediation. The rate of disposal of complaints by ombudsmen improved to 97.9% in 2021-22 from 96.6% in 2020-21.
One Nation, One Ombudsman:
The territorial jurisdictions for the ORBIOs have been abolished under the RBI-OS, 2021, adhering to the notion of “One Nation, One Ombudsman,” and complaints are distributed to all ORBIOs by the CMS.
A Nationwide Customer Satisfaction Survey:
Talking about other developments during the year, the report said, a Nationwide Customer Satisfaction Survey to assess the satisfaction level of the complainants who had approached the RBIOs for redressal of their grievances was undertaken through a third-party agency, which indicated the overall satisfaction level of the complainants was at 59.55 percent.
National Saving Certificate Interest Rate Hiked for Jan-Mar 2023 Quarter: The National Savings Certificate interest rate has been raised by the government from 6.8% to 7% for the quarter of January-March 2023.The National Savings Certificate is a trusted saving product offered by the Indian Post Office that is well-liked by investors as a low-risk investment alternative. A trust, a minor, or an adult can open an NSC. For the quarter ending March 31st, 2023, the yearly compounded NSC Interest Rate is 7%.
National Saving Certificate Interest Rate Hiked for Jan-Mar 2023 Quarter- Key Points
- The National Savings Certificate scheme has no maximum purchase amount, but a person can only receive benefits on investments up to 1.5 lacs.
- The Income Tax Act’s Section 80C deduction applies to the tax benefits associated with an investment in NSC.
- The government’s regularized interest rate on the National Savings Scheme l, enables an individual to generate a guaranteed return on the NSC at a rate of 7%.
- The NSCs annual fixed interest every quarter, ensuring a consistent income for the investor.
- NSC is accepted as security or collateral by banks and NBFCs for secured loans.
- The responsible post office should transfer the certificate to the bank and stamp it with a transfer stamp.
National Savings Certificate: Transfer of Account from One Individual to Another
NSC can be transferred from one person to another person with the following conditions only.
- On the death of the account holder to nominee/legal heirs.
- On the death of the account to the joint holder (s).
- On order by the court.
- On pledging of account to the specified authority
Ambedkar: A Life
Ambedkar: A Life, the most recent book by parliamentarian and author Shashi Tharoor, was just released at the Kitaab Kolkata event. In this new biography, Tharoor tells Ambedkar’s story with great lucidity, insight, and admiration. He traces the arc of the great man’s life from his birth into a family of Mahars in the Bombay Presidency on 14 April 1891 to his death in Delhi on 6 December 1956. He describes the many humiliations and hurdles Ambedkar had to overcome in a society that stigmatized the community he was born into, and the single-minded determination with which he overcame every obstacle he encountered.
The various battles Ambedkar fought to make untouchability illegal, his disputes with the other political and intellectual giants of his era, including Gandhi and Nehru, and his determination to invest India with a visionary Constitution that enshrined within it the inalienable rights of the individual and modern conceptions of social justice.
Babasaheb Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar:
Babasaheb Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, MA, MSc, PhD, DSc, DLitt, Bar-at-Law, is now regarded as one of India’s most venerated individuals, with Mahatma Gandhi’s sculptures being the second most numerous in the nation. He even overtook Gandhi in a recent poll to determine the ‘greatest Indian’ of modern times, in which over 20 million votes were cast. All the major political parties vie with one another to claim him as their own. To the Dalits, he is a revered figure who was chiefly responsible for outlawing untouchability and fighting to give dignity to the community. And, most of all, he is hailed as the father of India’s Constitution, the principal reason why India continues to remain a democracy with liberal, secular, plural values (although all these are under siege at the present time) that seeks to uphold the rights of the individual and uplift the downtrodden.
Axis Bank Partners with OPEN to Launch a Fully Digital Current Account: Axis Bank has partnered with OPEN to provide a fully native digital current account journey for its customers including SMEs (small and medium enterprises), freelancers, homepreneurs, influencers and more. The bank has never before collaborated with a fintech company to offer a fully digital current account. Using this account, customers can avail 250+ banking services and claim up to 50 per cent cashback through grab-deals. With this partnership, all existing Axis bank account holders also get access to OPEN’s all-in-one digital banking platform that is used by over 30 lakh businesses currently.
Aim of This Move:
The partnership is aiming to offer access to Axis Bank’s holistic banking services coupled with OPEN’s end-to-end financial automation tools for business management like payments, accounting, payroll, compliance, expense management and several other services to a larger business community.
Significance of This Move:
- This digital current account product claims to help customers to save a significant amount of time and effort, as the authentication process will be completely digital using PAN and Aadhaar followed by a video KYC.
- According to a company statement, the contactless account opening process that takes away the hassle of paperwork with a zero document upload feature makes this product significantly different from others in the market.
- In addition, it has been said that clients can access more than 250 financial services through this account and receive up to 50% cashback through grab-deals.
- The partnership will benefit all existing Axis bank account holders and also get access to OPEN’s all-in-one digital banking platform.
Anurag Thakur launches the themes of the Y20 summit, logo, and website: On January 6, in New Delhi, as part of the opening ceremony for the Youth 20 Summit India, Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur unveils the Youth 20 Summit’s themes, logo, and website.
An overview of the news
India is hosting the Y20 summit for the first time. In the Youth 20 Engagement Group, India’s main focus is to bring together young leaders from around the world to discuss ideas for a better tomorrow and create an agenda for action.
Activities to be undertaken by Y20 during India’s presidency will focus on global youth leadership and partnerships.
About Youth 20 (Y20)
- Youth 20 (Y20) is the official youth engagement group of the G20.
- It provides a platform for youth to express their vision and views on G20 priorities.
- It is a process that brings together young leaders from around the world to discuss and debate global challenges.
- The list of policy recommendations is known as a communiqué, which is publicly announced at the Y20 summit and presented to world leaders as part of the official G20 summit.
India deploys a platoon of women peacekeepers to the UN Mission in Sudan: India deployed a platoon of women peacekeepers in the Abyei region of Sudan on 6 January as part of the Indian battalion in the United Nations Interim Security Force (UNISFA).
An overview of the news
Since sending its first all-female force to Liberia in 2007, this is India’s largest single contingent of women peacekeepers in a UN mission. In 2007, India became the first country to deploy an entirely women contingent for a UN peacekeeping mission.
Police units formed in Liberia provided 24-hour guard duty, night patrols in the capital Monrovia, and helped increase the capacity of the Liberian Police. The Indian contingent, comprising two officers and 25 other ranks, will form part of an engagement platoon and specialise in community outreach; they will also undertake extensive security work.
United Nations Interim Security Force (UNISFA)
- By adopting resolution 1990 on June 27, 2011, the United Nations Security Council swiftly responded to the deteriorating situation in the Sudanese Abyei region by forming UNISFA.
- The UN Security Council was deeply concerned by the violence, rising tensions and population displacement.
- UNISFA was established after the Government of Sudan and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) reached an agreement in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
About UN Peacekeeping
- UN peacekeeping began in 1948 when the UN Security Council authorised the deployment of UN military observers in the Middle East.
- It helps to bring countries from conflict to a difficult path of peace.
- It deploys soldiers and police from all over the world for peacekeeping.
- India is one of the largest military and police contributors to UN peacekeeping operations.
- There are currently more than 5,700 Indian peacekeepers deployed in nine of the 12 UN peacekeeping missions.
India’s first Inclusion Festival, Purple Fest begins in Goa: Union Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dr Virendra Kumar inaugurated ‘Purple Fest: Celebrating Diversity’, India’s first festival of inclusion, in Goa on 6 January.
An overview of the news
It aims to showcase how we can come together to create a welcoming and inclusive world for everyone.
Purple Fest will feature a variety of exciting live performances, sports events, grand exhibitions, immersive experience zones, accessible movie screenings, and discussions on important topics such as inclusive education, tourism, employment and independent living.
As part of the festival, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in association with the Office of the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) has organised a two-day sensitization workshop on January 6 and 7 in Goa.
The workshop will be inaugurated by Dr. Virendra Kumar, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment and Chief Minister of Goa, Dr. Pramod Sawant will be present as the Guest of Honour.
Aim Of The Purple Fest 2023
Purple Fest is the first festival of its kind in Goa. It is an inclusive event that aims to highlight how we can work together to make the world a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
The event includes panel discussions, artistic live performances, large displays, immersive experience zones and other activities.