The Shipping Ministry has issued draft ‘Coastal Shipping Bill, 2020’ for public consultation, in accordance with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision for augmenting people’s participation and transparency in the governance.
The Ministry of Shipping has drafted a Coastal Shipping Bill, 2020 in lieu of part XIV of the Merchant Shipping Act, 1958.
Some of the highlights of the Bill are as under:
- The definition of coastal shipping and coastal waters has been expanded.
- It is proposed to do away with the requirement of trading licence for Indian flag vessels for coastal trade.
- The Bill seeks to create a competitive environment and reduce transportation costs, while encouraging Indian vessels to increase their share in coastal shipping.
- The Bill also proposes integration of coastal maritime transport with inland waterways.
- There is a provision for a National Coastal and Inland Shipping Strategic Plan.