West Bengal Government
launched a crop insurance scheme, Bangla Shashya Bima (BSB).
The reason for the launch of 2019 ‘Kharif’ season is to protect farmers from losses due to natural disasters.
Their main aim is to provide a steady income in case of unstable market prices.
The scheme launched in collaboration with Agriculture Insurance Company of India (AIC).
The crop insurance scheme is “free of cost for farmers” as the state government would pay the entire premium.
The crops include Aman and Aus paddy, jute and maize under the scheme.
This scheme is applicable for farmers in 15 districts.
Those districts include Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Purba Bardhaman, Paschim aardhaman, Purba Medinipur, Malda, Hooghly, Nadia, Murshidabad, Cooch Behar, Birbhum, Purulia, Dakshin Dinajpur, North 24 Parganas, and South 24 Parganas.
Here are the important features and highlights of Bangla Sasya Bima (BSB) Scheme:-
- Type of Scheme – Bangla Sashya Bima Scheme is a crop insurance scheme for farmers.
- Company to Provide Insurance – Agriculture Insurance Company of India.
- Districts Covered – Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Purba Bardhaman, Paschim Bardhaman, Purba Medinipur, Malda, Hooghly, Nadia, Murshidabad, Cooch Behar, Birbhum, Purulia, Dakshin Dinajpur, North 24 Parganas and South 24 Parganas.
- Premium Amount – Free of cost for farmers as WB state govt. will pay full premium
- Crops Covered for Insurance – BSB scheme in West Bengal to cover aman paddy, aus paddy, jute and maize.
- Eligible Beneficiaries – All farmers taking loans (granted / applied for) and even those not taking loans can avail Bangla Shasya Bima Scheme insurance benefits.
- Stages for Payment of
Under West Bengal Bangla Shashya Bima Yojana, the insurance would be paid
in 4 stages as mentioned below:-
- For any losses suffered during planting
- Losses suffered during cultivation
- The losses occurred during the period post-cutting when crops are lying in the field
- Losses caused due to adverse weather situations.
- Amount Calculation – The state govt. of West Bengal will decide the amount of insurance which would be calculated on per hectare basis.
This BSB crop insurance scheme will enable farmers to cover up their losses in case their crops gets damaged due to any reason. The state govt. wants to raise the annual income of the farmers and to enable them to lead a life of dignity and honour.
plays a very important role in the GDP of the state as well of the entire
country. So, the state govt. is focusing on raising their living standards
which will ensure higher GDP in the coming years.
Furthermore, West Bengal govt. wants to reduce
the suicide rate of farmers which occurs when farmers suffers from losses in
agriculture. West Bengal Bangla Shashya Scheme will also prevent farmers from
falling into debt trap.
About West Bengal
Chief minister: Mamata Banerjee