Current Affairs is the most important area in all competitive exams. But the difficulty level is very high. That’s why; many aspirants get confused, how to select Current Affairs for Preparation of Competitive Examination? In this Post, Daily Current Affairs 30 December 2022, we have tried to cover each and every point and also included all important facts from National/ International news that are useful for upcoming competitive examinations such as UPSC, SSC, Railway, State Govt. etc.
Current Affairs for Competitive Exam – 30 December 2022
Tata Steel and TuTr Hyperloop collaborate: Tata Steel and TuTr Hyperloop signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) on December 23, 2022 at IIT Madras to work together on the development and widespread application of Hyperloop technology. The primary study topics will concentrate on the most important design and material selection problems.
Tata Steel and TuTr Hyperloop’s Hyperloop Technology: Key Points
- A high-speed, affordable, sustainable option for transportation of both people and goods is the hyperloop. Key components of the hyperloop system include tubes, capsules, propulsion systems, and track.
- Levitated autonomous pods move through a system of evacuated tubes. It promises to be 10 times more energy-efficient than rail and road transportation, utilise 2-3 times less area, and offer quicker journey times than flight.
- Tata Steel’s key areas of expertise are the design and development of steel and composite materials.
- Tata Steel has chosen Hyperloop as an ideal breakthrough technology in the field of future mobility, in keeping with its strategy aim to produce future-ready sustainable business.
- A leader in this field, TuTr, a deeptech business based in India’s IIT Madras, promises a cheap hyperloop solution as its primary value proposition.
- TuTr excels at designing propulsion systems and pods. Designing, developing, and scaling up the technology for commercialization are the shared goals of Tata Steel and TuTr.
- The phase-I activity will take place on the 50-meter test track at IIT Madras.
- Phases II and III will see the completion of the ensuing work to create a 10-km track with the assistance of a group of additional industrial partners from the automotive, construction, and engineering sectors.
About TuTr Hyperloop
The development of hyperloop technologies is the focus of the deep tech startup TuTr Hyperloop. It aims to offer consumers quick, dependable “on-demand” transportation that is less expensive and more environmentally friendly than traditional forms of transportation. The first hyperloop test track in India (and Asia) is currently being constructed on the IIT Madras Discovery campus. TuTr hopes to use its collaboration with IIT Madras and proximity to India’s greatest deep tech ecosystem to spur the creation of affordable Hyperloop technologies that will improve a variety of sectors’ productivity by addressing their problems with the flow of goods.
About Tata Steel
The 34 million tonnes of crude steel that the Tata Steel Group can produce annually places it among the top steel producers in the world. With activities and a global commercial presence, it is one of the most geographically diversified steel producers in the world. Consolidated sales for the group was US$32.83 billion for the fiscal year that ended March 31, 2022.
Brazil World Cup winner and football legend, Pele passes away:
Edson Arantes do Nascimento, better known as Pelé, was a legendary player in Brazilian football. He died at the age of 82. He is considered by many as one of the greatest footballers of all time. His contributions to Brazil’s three World Cup triumphs in 1958, 1962, and 1970 cannot be overstated. With 77 goals in 92 games, he continues to lead the Brazil national team in scoring. He retired from Santos in 1974 but a year later made a surprise comeback by signing a lucrative deal to join the New York Cosmos in the then nascent North American Soccer League.
Career of Pele:
- In a glorious 21-year career he scored between 1,281 and 1,283 goals, depending on how matches are counted. Pele, though, transcended soccer, like no player before or since, and he became one of the first global icons of the 20th century.
- Pele was recognised as a “national treasure” by the Brazilian government in addition to being named “Athlete of the Century” by the International Olympic Committee and co-“Football Player of the Century” by FIFA.
- In 1999, he was named Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee and was included in the Time list of the 100 most important people of the 20th century.
- In 2000, Pelé was voted World Player of the Century by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) and was one of the two joint winners of the FIFA Player of the Century.
India-assisted Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Project Handed Over to Bhutan’s Druk Green Power Corp: Bhutan’s Druk Green Power Corporation (DGPC) has just received the 720 Megawatt Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Power Project, which was made possible with assistance from India. With this project, India and Bhutan have successfully completed four mega hydroelectric power projects. The project’s commissioning has resulted in a 44% increase in Bhutan’s electrical power generation capacity.
More About This Project:
The 720 MW project Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Power Project was jointly inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bhutanese counterpart Lotay Tshering in 2019. Bhutan’s electrical power generation capacity has increased by 44% since the project’s commissioning, to 2,326 Mega Watts. The Project has generated more than 9000 million units of energy since its commissioning, reducing 2.4 million tons of emissions annually.
The commissioning of Mangdechhu Hydropower Project led to an increase of 31 per cent in hydropower revenues of Bhutan in 2020. In 2021, Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Power Project exported electricity worth Rs 12.13 billion to India, increasing Bhutan’s electricity exports to Rs 24.43 billion.
The Mangdechhu Hydropower Project will cut annual greenhouse gas emissions by about 2.4 million tonnes. The Institute of Civil Engineers, London awarded the project with Brunel Medal 2020 as a recognition of its excellence in civil engineering and the project’s social and environmental credentials.
PM Modi’s mother Heeraben dies at 99: Mother of Prime Minister Narendra Modi Heeraben Modi passed away early on Friday in a hospital in Ahmedabad. She was 99.The news of her passing was announced in a bulletin from the UN Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre, where she was taken on Wednesday when her condition began to deteriorate.
PM Modi begin the Cremation rites
- The prime minister arrived at his brother Pankaj Modi’s house in the Raysan village neighbourhood of Gandhinagar, where his mother’s lifeless remains were kept.
- PM Modi was taken directly to his younger brother’s home after landing at this airport in the morning.
- He prostrated himself at his mother’s feet and presented her with floral tributes. Later, PM Modi carried her dead remains as he made his way to the crematory for her final rituals.
- According to the prime minister, his mother’s departure marked the conclusion of “a beautiful journey of 100 years.”
Several individuals accompanied PM Modi during the final rituals for his mother, Heeraben, including Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel. Along with his brother, PM Modi ignited the funeral pier.
About Heeraben Modi (June 18, 1923 – Dec 30, 2023)
- Heeraben or (Hiraben) Modi passed away on December 30, 2023, at the age of 99. She was born on June 18, 1923, in the Mehsana district of Gujarat.
- Heeraben (or Hiraben) Modi belonged to the Modh-Ghanchi community, which the Indian government classifies as OBC. Damodardas Mulchand Modi, her husband, sold tea.
- The younger brother of PM Modi resided in Raysan village with Hiraben, commonly known as Hiraba.
- During most of his trips to Gujarat, the prime minister Narendra Modi spent time with his mother and made frequent trips to Raysan.
Central Vigilance Commissioner: Central Vigilance Commissioner in interim capacity is Vigilance Commissioner Praveen Kumar Srivastava (CVC). After Suresh N. Patel’s tenure as the head of the anti-corruption agency Central Vigilance Commission ended on December 24, he was appointed. The commission is headed by a CVC and can have a maximum of two Vigilance Commissioners. Besides Mr. Srivastava, former Intelligence Bureau (IB) chief Arvind Kumar is the other Vigilance Commissioner. The tenure of a CVC and vigilance commissioner is of four years or till the incumbent attains the age of 65 years.
About the Mr. Srivastava:
- Mr. Srivastava is an Assam-Meghalaya cadre (retired) Indian Administrative Service officer from the 1988 batch. On January 31 of this year, he retired from his position as Secretary (Coordination), Cabinet Secretariat.
- During his tenure as Special Secretary and Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Home Affairs, he had handled matters relating to cadre management of Indian Police Service, personnel and general administration of central armed police forces and Union territories.
- Mr. Srivastava also assisted the government in negotiations relating to trade in services under the World Trade Organisation (WTO) as Director/Deputy Secretary, Department of Commerce.
- He also served as Chief Vigilance Officer in RITES Ltd and as Joint Secretary and Mission Director, Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
- On August 3, 2022, Mr. Patel, a former Andhra Bank managing director and CEO, was appointed as the CVC.
- He joined the Commission in April 2020 as the Vigilance Commissioner. Mr. Patel was made acting CVC on June 24, 2021 after Sanjay Kothari completed his term.
The Bekal International Beach festival: The “Bekal International Beach Festival,” a cultural extravaganza, is currently taking place in North Malabar, often known as the Spice Coast, in the far north of Kerala. Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has inaugurated the 10-day first international beach festival, that captures the wholeness and the essence of the district’s cultural and artistic uniqueness and displays the rich cultural diversity and grandeur of the country, at the majestic Bekal Beach Park.
About the Bekal International Beach festival
It is put on by the Bekal Resorts Development Corporation (BRDC) in collaboration with the district’s local self-government entities, Kudumbashree, Asmi Holidays, and the District Tourism Promotion Council. In Kerala, festival dates are decided in accordance with the Malayalam calendar and the local traditions and customs.
Bekal International Beach festival: Important facts
- It showcases the country’s rich cultural diversity and magnificence in the majestic Bekal Beach Park.
- Around five lakh people from all over the world enjoy this festival at three places of Chandragiri, Tejaswini and Payaswini.
- The festival reflects a cross-section of culture and the unique identity of the land.
- At the Beach Festival, more than 1,000 performers from around the world and the United States performed.
Atal Samman Award: At the 9th Atal Samman Samaroh, held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi on the anniversary of the birth of the nation’s former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, a number of individuals who had significant contributions to make in a variety of sectors were honoured. Prabhu Chandra Mishra has been awarded Atal Samman Award for his excellence in field of science & research. His area of work is Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine in infertility especially when IVF also fails. The diseases like premature ovarian failure, thin endometrium, Asherman syndrome Etc have shown satisfactory results with body’s own cells. PRP & bone marrow-derived StemCells Research have shown promising hope for these patients/ couples who are struggling for their own child’s.
About the Prabhu Mishra:
Prabhu Mishra is the President of International Association of StemCell & Regenerative Medicine and ace Regenerative Medicine scientist and travelled around the globe for his work. He also authored the intriguing book StemCell & Regenerative Medicine in Infertility on stem cells. IASRM also conducts various training programs in Regenerative Medicine to create awareness to the community and health care providers.
Banks’ balance sheet grows in double digits after 7 years: According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) annual report on trend and progress of banking in India, the health of Indian banks continued to improve in 2021–2022 with their balance sheet rising at double digits after a gap of seven years.
At the same time, the banking regulator flagged the issue of slippages from restructured accounts. “Going forward, it is imperative that banks ensure due diligence and robust credit appraisal to limit credit risk,” the report said.
PSBs account for 62% of the deposits of scheduled commercial banks, while on loans, they corner 58% market share.
Credit growth of banks was at a 10-year high at the end September 2022. Commenting on the profitability of commercial banks, the report said their return on equity (RoE) and return on assets (RoA) improved to levels last observed in 2014-15.
The asset quality of Indian banks continued to improve with gross non-performing assets (GNPAs) as a percentage of gross advances further falling in September 2022, to 5 per cent, as compared to 5.8 per cent in March 2022. “This decrease was led by lower slippages as well as reduction in outstanding GNPAs through recoveries, upgradations and write-offs,” the report said.
DGCA accords Marut Drones with DGCA Type Certification & Approval: The Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has accorded the Marut Drones with the DGCA Type Certification and Approval. Marut Drones product, ‘AG 365 Agricopter’ is India’s first Multi-utility Agriculture Medium Category Drone to receive the prestigious certificate.
AG 365- Agricopter is extensively tested in Agriculture in collaboration with prestigious agriculture universities and research institutes in the development of crop-specific SOPs for safe, reliable, and effective agriculture operations. It also said the AG 365 is designed and developed for Indian conditions and can be used for multiple purposes and is eligible for 10 lakh rupees unsecured loans from the agri-infrastructure fund offered by the Centre at a minimum interest rate.
It is extensively tested in Agriculture in collaboration with agriculture universities and research institutes. It is designed and developed for Indian conditions and can be used for multiple purposes.
Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw launches ‘Stay Safe Online’ Campaign: Minister of Meity, Ashwini Vaishnaw has launched the “Stay Safe Online” campaign and “G20 Digital Innovation Alliance” (G20-DIA). The event was graced by Shri Amitabh Kant, G20 Sherpa, dignitaries from Union Ministries and Departments, representatives of Embassies and Consulates, invited guests from the Government, Industry associations, social media platforms, start-ups, and civil society organisations.
MeitY, the Nodal Ministry for the G20 Digital Economy Working Group (DEWG), has represented India in numerous working groups and Ministerial sessions during previous presidencies. During India’s G20 presidency, MeitY will focus on three priority areas, namely Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI), Cyber Security, and Digital Skill Development, together with the Stay Safe Online campaign and DIA programme under the DEWG. MeitY aims to carry forward the vision of the digital transformation of the global digital economy for public service delivery through innovation and a future-ready digitally skilled workforce in a secure cyber environment.
Aim of ‘Stay Safe Online’: To raise awareness about the online world due to the widespread use of social media and rapid adoption of digital payments
Aim of G20-DIA: To identify, recognize, and enable the adoption of innovative and impactful digital technologies developed by startups
About G20 Digital Innovation Alliance (G20-DIA)
- The objective of the G20 Digital Innovation Alliance (G20-DIA) is to identify, recognize, and enable the adoption of innovative and impactful digital technologies developed by startups, from G20 nations as well as the invited non-member nations, which can address the needs of humanity in the critically important sectors of Agri-tech, Health-tech, Ed-tech, Fin-tech, Secured Digital Infrastructure, and Circular Economy.
- Startup products in the aforementioned six themes enabled through Digital Public Goods Infrastructure can create a global population-scale impact and reduce the digital divide and enable sustainable, and inclusive techno-socio-economic development.
- The G20 Digital Innovation Alliance (G20–DIA) summit which will be held in Bangalore on the sidelines of the Digital Economy Working Group (DEWG) meeting will be a multi-day program where top nominated startups from each of the theme areas from all of the G20 countries and the non-member invited countries will showcase their solutions to the global community of investors, mentors, corporates, and other government stakeholders.
- The engagement of innovators, entrepreneurs, startups, corporations, investors, mentors, and other ecosystem stakeholders will lead to the speedy acceptance of the platform that India plans to offer through the G20 Digital Innovation Alliance (G20-DIA). The G20-DIA Summit will bring together the key players in the innovation ecosystem from both G20 member countries and the invited non-member countries in order to recognise and support startups creating cutting-edge digital solutions in the six themes that bridge the digital divide between different segments of humanity and advance the world economy.
Nodal Ministry for G20 Digital Economy Working Group: MeitY